Information in English
Enjoy the natural surroundings, a day’s shopping, relax on a terrace or take part in or watch some sport. No-one need be bored in Doetinchem. The town centre has grown into a true shopping centre, the terraces and the restaurants and cafés are great places to be and Simonsplein is the centre of all the fun.
Centre of the Achterhoek
The size of the town means that Doetinchem fulfils a central role in the Achterhoek area, with about 200,000 residents in its service area. Thousands of people come to Doetinchem to work, study or relax every day, thanks to its central position in the public transport network, the concentration of educational and other institutions, the provisions for healthcare and culture and the large number of businesses. Doetinchem works together with seven other municipalities in the Achterhoek area in the fields of healthcare, the fire service, the environment, residential building and education.
The town centre of Doetinchem has become a true shopping centre, with something for everyone. General opening times stores:
- Monday from 1.00 till 6.00 p.m.
- Tuesday from 9.00 till 6.00 p.m.
- Wednesday from 9.00 till 6.00 p.m.
- Thursday from 9.00 till 6.00 p.m.
- Friday from 9.00 till 21.00 p.m.
- Saturday from 9.00 till 5.00 p.m.
Every last Sunday of the month, downtown shops in Doetinchem. are open from 12.00 a.m. til 5.00 p.m. You can find more information on www.doetinchemwinkelstad.nl.
The Tuesday market in Doetinchem is well known in the area. This market draws buyers from all around, even from across the border in Germany. In March 2013, the Doetinchem market was voted the second-best market in the Netherlands by the Dutch trade association CVAH. The market is held every Tuesday, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., on the car park in front of the Town Hall. A smaller market is held at the same place on Saturdays, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. Are you interested in a stall on either of the markets? Please contact the municipality of Doetinchem’s commercial advisor on +31 (0)314 377 377.
Doetinchem has many terraces and cheerful restaurants and cafés. Grutstraat is the street for eating out in Doetinchem; the wide variety of restaurants in this street means there is something for everyone.
Theatre and cinema
- Stadsmuseum (Town Museum), 2,Burgemeester van Nispenstraat, Doetinchem
- Ut Olde Ambacht (Folk Museum), 26, Stationsstraat, Wehl
- Openbaar Vervoer Museum (Public Transport Museum), 50, Stationsstraat, Doetinchem
- Museum Tukar Menukar (museum of ethnic mediums of exchange and payment used in the former Dutch East Indies), 6, Klootsemastraat, Doetinchem